When to Get an Attorney For a Car Accident: A Complete Guide
Knowing when to get an attorney for a car accident is crucial if you want to protect your rights following a collision. Get the facts here.
The Orlando Firm are your personal injury attorneys with the experience to win.
When to Get an Attorney For a Car Accident
Being involved in a car accident can be nerve-wracking, especially if you’re facing resulting car accident injuries. Some of the questions that you might ask yourself after a minor or major car accident include:
- “What do I do now?”
- “Who’s supposed to pay for the car damages and medical bills?”
- “How do I prove I wasn’t at fault?”
- “Should I get an attorney?”
- “What should I say to the police or my car insurer?”
The good news is that this article is designed to help you understand all you need to know when you get involved in a car accident, including when you should get a car accident lawyer like those at The Orlando Firm.
Types of Accidents That Require the Help of a Car Accident Lawyer
The type of car accidents experienced will determine if you should get an attorney or not. For instance, if you are involved in a minor accident, such as a slight at a parking lot, and both you and the other driver have agreed that the damage is minor, you won’t need a personal injury attorney. The same is true for nearly any other accident that did not result in injuries.
However, any other kind of car accident requires a car accident lawyer. This also includes a parking lot scratch that seems to cost a lot of money to repair. Here’s why:
- In some states, it is illegal to fail to file a police report after a car accident, however small it is.
- You need to get an insurance claim that will help you repair your car. Considering that insurance companies have great lawyers, it can be difficult for you to tackle them on your own. It would be ideal to have someone with the right expertise and experience.
Additionally, if you have faced injuries after a car accident occurred, you need a personal injury attorney who’s well-versed in the nuances of car accidents. Although this is especially crucial if you are facing serious injuries, it can also apply when you’ve sustained seemingly minor injuries. When you need to file a personal injury claim, car accident lawyers will assist by guiding you through each step of your car accident claim to help you obtain maximum compensation.
Should I Get an Attorney After a Car Accident?
If you are wondering whether you should get an attorney after an accident, there are several things to consider. The following circumstances warrant the help of an attorney for legal advice:
- If serious injuries occurred in the accident, especially one that requires medical aid, such as open wounds, internal bleeding, broken bones, and so on.
- If someone dies. Death is taken very seriously in court, even if it is an accident. So, if someone happens to die in a car crash, whether it is a person you were with in the car, a bystander, pedestrian, or the person in the other car, contact an attorney immediately.
- If no one is willing to be liable for the accident, get an attorney.
- If a police report is to be filed. Of course, whenever an accident occurs, you must notify the police to come and sort out the issue. But, the main problem comes when the police give an inaccurate statement about the accident. This report can have a lasting impact on your credibility. It can affect your claim to the insurance, and may also go into your permanent government records. So, to prevent that from happening, you need to get an attorney.
- When other people are involved in an accident, even if it is just one person.
- When the other parties, including the insurance company, hire a lawyer.
- When an uninsured motorist was involved in the accident, contact an uninsured car accident attorney.
- And lastly, if you have any insurance issues. For instance, when the insurer claims that you didn’t pay the premium charge, if their insurance limits are too low, or if you haven’t registered for insurance yet.
An experienced car accident attorney will help identify the at-fault driver and an auto accident attorney can offer additional advice when dealing with a motor vehicle accident. A reputable law firm won’t rely on aggressive attorney advertising like many law firms with high case volumes but rather will count on the reputation of its attorney-client relationship and car accident lawyers’ work.
What to Do If You Get In a Car Accident
There are several things you need to know if you get into a car accident. Since auto insurance companies and personal injury lawyers require certain steps to properly complete a property damage or injury claims process. Here is what to do if you get in a car accident:
- Check to see if you have any injuries.
- If you can, get your car to the side of the road. This is important in avoiding chaos at the accident scene.
- Call the police. It is illegal not to call the police in some states, even if it is just a minor accident.
- If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately. Be sure to get a copy of all medical records from doctor’s visits following the accident.
- If you are able to move, take pictures and videos of the scene.
- Take down the names and telephone numbers of all the parties involved in the accident.
- Also, take down the names and contacts of any witnesses in the area.
- Call your lawyer.
- Don’t give out any statement to the police or the insurance company without your attorney present.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer is essential if you seek legal representation to obtain compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, and legal fees, even for minor injuries. Where many firms overlook these important aspects, reputable car accident and truck wreck law firms can help you get restitution in small claims court by filing a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver and/or the negligent driver’s insurance company.
How to Prove You Are Not At Fault In a Car Accident
Sometimes it can be very difficult to determine the person that caused the accident, especially if numerous factors contributed to it. So, to avoid getting blamed by the insurance company, you will need to prove that you are not at fault, but the other driver is. Here is how you can go about it.
- First, take pictures of your car’s position after the accident. If another car is involved, take pictures that highlight how both the cars are positioned. Also, take pictures of the road, weather, and any other thing that might have contributed to the accident.
- Moreover, if there are witnesses around, collect their contact information before they leave the scene. You may need them to give a statement to support your case.
- Never admit to being at fault. Sometimes, even telling the other person sorry can be an admission of guilt.
- Make sure that the police report is accurate. You may need an attorney for this. Ask them to give you a copy of the report.
After collecting all this information, keep them safe as you will need it in court or when you’re making a claim. Hire an experienced attorney when dealing with a crash involving another driver as you need legal professionals to receive compensation when an injury occurred.
Should I Get a Lawyer For a Car Accident That Wasn’t My Fault?
Even when the accident was not their fault, it can be challenging for car accident victims to prove their innocence. In such a circumstance, you will need professional help. A good car accident attorney should know how to build strong personal injury claims and understand which documents and evidence to use in your case.
Why Hire an Attorney For a Car Accident?
Hiring an accident attorney is important to assist you with avoiding serious legal issues that may arise from a car accident case, especially when death or serious injury is involved. Moreover, they can help in clearing your name when you are not at fault. A reputable car accident lawyer can also help you get your rightful compensation when you are facing injuries.
Don’t Face the Insurance Company Alone — Contact The Orlando Firm Today
If you are a car accident victim, it is in your best interest to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party with the help of an experienced lawyer who knows what it takes to win accident-related personal injury cases. No matter your circumstances, the accident attorneys at The Orlando Firm are prepared to explore every legal avenue to recover compensation for your injuries. Contact the injury attorneys at our law firm now for a free consultation and begin moving forward.
The Orlando Firm are your personal injury attorneys with the experience to win.